Wednesday 12 November 2014

Logistics

I was full of good intentions yesterday afternoon about exercising later in the evening but as it wore on, I suddenly developed a cold and cough.  You know how it can arrive out of the blue like a nasty tax demand?  Well arrive it did.  I was still full of good intentions as I drove home but these gradually weakened and ultimately disappeared by the time I slogged through the traffic and got home.  In order to say that I did "something", I knocked out a few crunches and press ups but these were a token effort and I'm well aware of that.

I do feel that I did the right thing to pamper myself a little though (and this is not just my chimp rationalising).  It was chucking it down last night so a run would have been very miserable.  Combine that with a cold/cough and the fact that I'm off for a long weekend abroad tomorrow, looking after myself was definitely in order.

Sadly the best laid plans of womankind do not always (ever??) come to pass.  Today was a bit of a logistical nightmare.

I was meant to be golfing in the morning and working from home in the afternoon and on Thursday morning before being picked up by my pal Jenny and heading for Hull and thence, Bruges with my old school pals.

Erm, not so much.  Golf was called off due to the course being waterlogged.  Excellent I thought, I can do an extra half day working.  I then discovered (after several tortuous phone calls to IT etc) that my work laptop has potentially been attacked by some deadly virus and IT has completely disabled it.  It will not be reactivated until I take it into the office (an hour's drive each way).

I just couldn't fit a visit to Rotherham in today as I was waiting for a delivery; had a lunchtime appointment which was followed by a conference call at 1-2pm.  I managed to find half a day's work I could do without any laptop access (pure luck to be honest) but I really do need to go into Rotherham tomorrow morning.  Bang goes my plan of a leisurely no-stress morning before being whisked off on holiday.

Hey ho - I will take the train into Rotherham tomorrow morning loaded down with laptop and weekend bag.  Hopefully IT will sort out my laptop in time to allow me to actually do some work before dashing to the station and off to Barnsley to meet up with Jenny.  Gotta be flexible Les, plans change....

Today (once I got my revised plans sorted out) was lovely though.  I managed to dodge the rain and take the dogs out for a brisk, scenic but muddy walk as well as fitting an hour or so of leaf raking and sweeping and general winter clearing up in the garden.

There are so many jobs to do in the garden but I can barely keep up with the general maintenance let alone revamping the beds; lopping the overgrown apple trees; re-felting the shed roof; building a small area of decking; herb beds; and a green house....eeeeek.  However, if I don't keep on top of the basic chores, I'll never get round to the bigger stuff. And not bad exercise either.

Now, I'm catching a quick Masterchef - The Professionals before going upstairs  to pack.  It's so weird how easy and casual foreign travel is these days.  I'm sure I used to be much more concerned before I went away and plan much more than you do these days.  I've been so busy I haven't even perused the internet to see what we're going to do when we get to Bruges!!  Any tips anyone??

PS.  The scales showed a small drop this morning.  Yay!!  I know Bruges is going to be hard but at least I'm on my way.

No comments: